source: NASD (CDC.gov)
Electricity is an essential part of our lives. However, it has the potential to cause great harm. Electrical systems will function almost indefinitely if properly installed and not overloaded or physically abused.
Outlets near water should be GFI-type outlets.
Don't allow trees near power lines to be climbed.
Keep ladders, kites, equipment and anything else away from overhead power lines.
Never use anything but the proper fuse to protect a circuit.
Find and correct overloaded circuits.
Never place extension cords under rugs.
Electricity enters the home through a control panel and a main switch where one can shut off all the power in an emergency. These panels are usually in the basement. Control panels use either fuses or circuit breakers. Install the correct fuses for the panel. Never use a greater numbered fuse or a metallic item such as a penny. If fuses are used and there is a stoppage in power, look for the broken metal strip in the top of a blown fuse. Replace the fuse with a new one marked with the correct amperage. Reset circuit breakers from off to on.
Be sure to check why the fuse or circuit blew. Possible causes are frayed wires, overloaded outlets or defective appliances. Never overload a circuit with high wattage appliances. Check the wattage on appliance labels. If there is frayed insulation or a broken wire, a dangerous short circuit may result and cause a fire. If power stoppages continue or if a frayed or broken wire is found, contact an electrician.
Outlets and Extension Cords
Make sure all electrical outlets are three-hole, grounded outlets. If there is water in the area, there should be a GFI or Ground Fault Interrupter outlet. All outdoor outlets should be GFIs. There should be ample electrical capacity to run equipment without tripping circuit breakers or blowing fuses.
Minimize extension cord use. Never place them under rugs. Use extension cords sparingly and check them periodically. Use the proper electrical cord for the job, and put safety plugs in unused outlets.
Appliances need to be treated with respect and care. They need room to breathe. Avoid enclosing them in a cabinet without proper openings and do not store papers around them. Level appliances so they do not tip. Washers and dryers should be checked often. Their movement can put undue stress on electrical connections.
If any appliance or device gives off a tingling shock, turn it off, unplug it and have a qualified person correct the problem. Shocks can be fatal. Never insert metal objects into appliances without unplugging them.
Check appliances periodically to spot worn or cracked insulation, loose terminals, corroded wires, defective parts and any other components that might not work correctly. Replace these appliances or have them repaired by a person qualified to do so.
Electrical Heating Equipment
If portable electrical heating equipment is used in the home as a supplement to the home heating system, take caution to ensure your family's safety. It's common sense to keep these portable heaters clear of combustible materials, make sure they cannot be tipped over, and be sure to only plug them in to grounded outlets that are not overloaded. Keep electrical heating equipment clean and in good working condition. Do not use portable heaters in bathrooms because of the risk of contact with water and electrocution.
Similarly, electric blankets should be treated with care and maintained in good condition. Inspect them periodically, looking for cracks or breaks in the wiring, plugs and connectors, and also look for darkened or charred spots on both sides, as those may indicate a failure point that could lead to a blanket fire. Many things can cause electric blankets to overheat. They include other bedding placed on top of them, pets sleeping on top of them, and putting things on top of the blanket when it is in use. Folding the blankets can also bend the coils and cause overheating.
While electricity is important to the workings of the home, it can be especially dangerous to children. Teach electrical safety to your children early on, and utilize safety devices (outlet covers, safety plugs) to protect your children, particularly toddlers, from possible electroduction. Make sure all outlets in the home have face plates. Teach children not to put things into electrical outlets and not to chew on electrical cords. Keep electrical wiring boxes locked.
Do not allow children to come in contact with power lines outside. Never allow them to climb trees near power lines, utility poles or high-tension towers.
Electricity and Water
People are good conductors of electricity, particularly when standing in water or on a damp floor. A body can act like a lightning rod and carry the current to the ground. Never use any electric appliance in the tub or shower. Never touch an electric cord or appliance with wet hands. Do not use electrical appliances in damp areas or while standing on damp floors. In areas where water is present, use outlets with "ground fault interrupters" or GFIs. Shocks can be fatal.
Mice and other rodents can chew on electrical wires and damage them. If rodents are suspected or known to be in the home, be aware of the damage they may cause and take measures to get rid of them.
There are several electrical hazards outside the home. Be aware of overhead and underground power lines. People have been electrocuted when an object they are moving has come in contact with the overhead power lines. Keep ladders, antennas, kites and poles away from power lines leading to the house and other buildings. Do not plant trees, shrubs, or bushes under power lines or near underground power lines. People are good conductors, particularly standing in water or on a damp floor. A body can act like a lightning rod and carry the current to the ground.
Never build a swimming pool or other structure under the power line leading to your house. Before digging, learn the location of underground power lines.
Do not climb power poles or transmission towers. Never let anyone shoot or throw stones at insulators. If you have an animal trapped in a tree or on the roof near electric lines, phone your utility company. Do not take a chance of electrocuting yourself.
Be aware of weather conditions when installing and working with electrical appliances. Never use electrical power tools or appliances with rain overhead or water underfoot. Use only outdoor lights, fixtures and extension cords. Plug into outlets with a ground fault interrupter.
Downed power lines are extremely dangerous. If you see a downed power line, call the electric company, and warn others away. If a power line hits your car while you are in it, stay inside unless the car catches fire. If the car catches fire, jump clear without touching metal and the ground at the same time.
Three Ways to Prevent Electrical Accidents
1. Turn off all electrical appliances when you go out. Teach children this habit by example.
2. Know your appliances. Read and follow manufacturers' instructions. Be sure all appliances and power tools carry an Underwriters Laboratory tag.
3. Practice extension cord safety. Cords are for temporary indoor use, away from moisture, heat, or metal pipes, and never under rugs.
Copyright and usage policy: This document is derived from a document in the public domain. The original source document may be reproduced with or without change in part or whole by an individual or organization without permission. Published here under the terms of the CC-by-SA license, this content must be attributed to Grassfrog Technologies LLC with a link to our website at www.grassfrog.com if it is used by any third party.
Here's what our clients say about us: